Sunday, February 14, 2010

Episode 1.1- The Pilot

The Guest Stars
John Allen Nelson as Paul
Clea Lewis as Franny

The Ratings

Creativity- 8.5
Humor- 8.4
Emotion- 8.8
Fun- 8.2
Overall- 8.9

Chandler- 8.2
Joey- 7.6
Monica- 7.8
Phoebe- 8.5
Rachel- 8.4
Ross- 8.4

The Best Lines
Ross (to Phoebe): No, uh, uh, uh... don't! Stop cleansing my aura! Just leave my aura alone, okay?
Phoebe: Fine. Be murky!

Chandler: Sometimes I wish I was a lesbian. (Pause) Did I say that out loud?

Ross: I told mom and dad last night... they seemed to take it pretty well.
Monica: Oh really? So that hysterical phone call I got from a woman sobbing at 3AM, 'I'll never have grandchildren, I'll never have grandchildren!', was what- a wrong number?

Rachel (on the phone with her father): I just don't love him. (Pause) Well, it matters to me!

Phoebe (while watching the Spanish soap opera, imagining what the characters are saying): If I let go of my hair, my head will fall off!

Ross (to Monica): No, go on, it's Paul the wine guy!
Phoebe (to Chandler): What does that mean- does he sell it, drink it, or just complain a lot?

Ross (trying to cheer up Rachel): No, Aruba, this time of year? Talk about your... big lizards.

Joey: Hey, Pheebs, you want to help?
Phoebe: No, I wish I could, but I don't want to.

Ross: I honestly don't know if I'm hungry or horny.
Chandler: Then stay out of my freezer...

Chandler: All right, kids, I got to get to work. If I don't input those numbers... it doesn't make much of a difference.

Monica: I hate men! I hate men!
Phoebe: Oh no, don't hate... you don't want to put that out in the universe.

Joey: I can't believe what I'm hearing here!
Phoebe (sings): I can't believe what I'm hearing here...
Monica: What? I said you had--
Phoebe (sings): What I said you had...

The Moments
Rachel comes running in from the pouring rain in a wedding gown.
Ross laments over a divorce for the first time.
Rachel cuts her credit cards.
Ross wonders if it would be okay if he asked Rachel out sometime, and she says it would be.
Rachel begins her job at Central Perk.

The Romances
Monica has a date with Paul the wine guy.
Joey has a date with Julie.

The Verdict
A great first episode! Usually it takes a few episodes to get into a series, but after just one episode of Friends, I was hooked. Very funny, but with palpable emotion, and great introductions to some of television sitcom's most unforgettable characters.
Good, great, or meh? Great! A super kickoff to a wonderful ten-year roller coaster ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment