Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Episode 1.14- The One with the Candy Hearts


The TV.com Summary
This is the one where Ross has his first date in nine years, on Valentine's Day with a beautiful neighbor, while Susan and Carol, also out on a romantic date; end up at the same restaurant, Joey sets Chandler up on a blind date - with Janice, and Phoebe, Rachel and Monica decide to spend the holiday building a boyfriend bonfire in their apartment.

The Guest Stars

Jane Sibbett as Carol
Jessica Hecht as Susan
Heather Medway as Kristen
Nancy Valen as Lorraine
Larry Poindexter as Fireman Dave
Jay Acovone as Fireman Charlie
Joel Gretsch as Fireman Ed
and
Maggie Wheeler as Janice

The Ratings

Creativity- 9.3
Humor- 8.4
Emotion- 8.4
Fun- 8.9
Overall- 8.6

Chandler- 8.8 (His love/hate/love/hate for Janice is desperately cute)
Joey- 7.4 (Not much to do in this episode, a couple funny parts, but mostly he was kind of a douche)
Monica- 7.9 (Bordered on freaky-annoying, she really bummed me out this episode)
Phoebe- 8.7 (Strong in this episode, not hilarious, but quite funny)
Rachel- 8.9 (Great job in this episode, she kept the funny up consistently)
Ross- 9.1 (Excellent! Really stood out in this episode, with a main storyline that was just him - no other Friends)

The Best Lines
Rachel: Pete the Weeper? Remember that guy who used to cry every time we had sex? (imitating crying noises) Was it good for you?

Rachel: How do we end up with these jerks? We're good people!
Monica: I don't know... maybe we're some kind of, like, magnets.
Phoebe: I know I am. That's why I can't wear a digital watch.

Phoebe: Well, I have this friend Abby, who shaves her head, and she says if you want to break the bad boyfriend cycle, you can do, like, a cleansing ritual.
Rachel: Pheebs... this woman is voluntarily bald.
Phoebe: Yeah!

Phoebe (overseeing the cleansing ritual): All right, now we need the semen of a righteous man!
Rachel: Okay, Pheebs... you know, if we had that, we wouldn't be doing the ritual in the first place.

Chandler: Oh man, in my next life I'm coming back as a toilet brush.

Janice: Don't you know it yet? You LOVE me, Chandler Bing!

Janice: Something deep in your soul calls out to me like a foghorn! JAA-NICE! JAA-NICE! And then you push me away, you pull me back! JAA-NICE! You want me. You need me. You... can't live without me. And you know it! You just don't know you know it.

The Moments

Ross asks a woman out with the help of an egg.
Chandler's blind date arranged by Joey turns out to be Janice.
Joey leaves Chandler his credit card.
Ross, his date, and Carol sit together in a Benihana.
While doing their "boyfriend bonfire", Rachel, Monica, and Phoebe burn a little too much and the firemen come.
Janice's mini-monologue to Chandler.
Ross and Carol kiss passionately.

The Romances

Phoebe considers asking Roger out for Valentine's Day.
Joey dates a woman named Lorraine.
Ross goes out on a date with a woman who used to live in his building, Kristen, and while out they see Carol and Susan.

The Verdict

A good episodes, with so many memorable moments that it's hard to not give it a fairly high ranking. However... the energy and pep of the episode was unusually low, maybe just because I'm feeling extra-stressed today. I felt that though there were some funny parts, and Janice's "You love me" monologue was incredible, Ross's kiss with Carol was indelible, and the boyfriend bonfire was hard to forget, there just wasn't that line-after-line humor that I'm used to from Friends. Great plots, great moments, not-so-great on the consistent zippy humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment